Saturday, April 27, 2013

Lace Collar

At first my eye sees the circles. . . 
It's been a long time since I last selected something from the chest of inherited family textiles so I thought I'd do so for today's post. This delicate lace collar was from my Great Grandmother Louise's things and belonged to my Great, Great Grandmother, Addie. Made entirely of thread, this lovely lace with its flowers and Maltese cross motif drapes like gauze over my hand. Maybe somebody can tell me what the name for this kind of lace is. Measuring 26 inches by 10 and a half inches, it would have been beautiful falling over a woman's shoulders and perhaps closed with a pin. Handmade, it would seem a spider gifted with a unique vision hooked all these longs threads together.

. . . then on closer inspection the Maltese crosses stand out.


1 comment:

  1. OMGosh! How would someone make something like this in low light and then keep it clean once it was done??? Not to mention to have family members along the line save it and not toss it out or toss it into a heap and then it would become a tangled mess. Who were these women who were so skillful . . .

    ReplyDelete